It is absolutely normal to have ups and downs in your relationship as long as you and your partner both love each other.
But not all the days are the same and your partner may end up hurting your pride either intentionally or unknowingly.
If you have no control over your pride, the results can be extremely bad causing the relationship to end. So, here are some tips that you can follow to overcome pride in your relationship.
Tips to overcome pride in a relationship
1) Accept the flaws that you have. As long as you do not accept your flaws, you will never learn to overcome pride. If you have done something incorrectly, then simply accept it.
2) Let the truth come out to everyone. Never try to suppress the truth irrespective of anything. Let the truth come to light not only to your partner but also to your inner self.
3) Ask yourself if you are really trying. You will be able to overcome your pride but the process will be difficult. So, it is best if you assess yourself and not depend on anyone else for the judgment.
4) Try learning how to apologize to your partner. One of the biggest steps towards overcoming your pride is to say sorry to your partner.
5) Accept when you are wrong. Once you have known your flaws, admit the mistakes that you have made. Rather than trying to justify them, try to rectify them.
6) Never give up on trying. Overcoming your pride is going to be difficult and the situations may be hard for you. But never give up on trying to overcome your pride.
7) Always think of the positive sides of overcoming your pride. Think of the good things that will happen to your relationship once you are successful. It is always best to look at the bigger picture.
8) Ask yourself whether your pride is worth it. Is it better to prioritize your pride than to accept your partner saying that the earth is not flat? Every time a situation comes where your pride comes into play, ask questions to yourself.
9) Communicating continuously is one of the best ways to overcome pride. Once you are talking to your partner, the issues will be solved even without you knowing it. So, never seize communication with your partner.
10) Good communication can lighten up the situation. There is no guarantee that communication will always enable you to overcome your pride. But good communication with your partner will enable you to take a step ahead.
11) Being serious always is not the best for the relationship. Once you are not very serious, your pride will not come into play. As a result, you will not even need to overcome your pride.
12) Try to be less competitive. You and your partner are not in a competition. So, try to avoid competitions as much as you can and you will not have any issues with your pride in the relationship.
13) Learn how to adjust. Being in a relationship requires a lot of adjustments from you and your partner. Once you start adjusting slowly, you will see that your pride is not affecting your relationship anymore in any way.
14) Be happy for your partner’s achievements. You should know that you and your partner are together and one person’s success is equally important for the other. So, learn to be happy when your partner achieves something instead of trying to achieve the same thing.
15) Being overly competitive can ruin a beautiful relationship. Try to achieve success but never try to get into a race with your partner. This is one of the steps that you need to take to overcome your pride.
16) Instead of starting a race, try to grow together. If your partner achieves success, you should also try to grow so that you two are equal. Never try to be a step ahead of your partner.
17) Praise your partner for small things. These small gestures are very important when you want to let go of your pride in your beautiful relationship. Once you start praising, your partner will also understand that you are happy for him or her and the question of pride will not appear at all.
18) Praising your partner will make you more humble. A humble person is never boastful and thus, can help you deal with your pride issues. So, try to praise your partner and try being humble.
19) Never stoop down to your partner’s level. Once you choose to not stoop down to your partner’s level, your relationship will not be ruined due to your pride issues.
20) Learn to ignore as soon as you can. If you know the art of ignoring, you will never have to bring your pride in between. Ask yourself whether your involvement is worth it.
21) Let go of minor issues in the relationship. Learn to decide whether your pride should even come into play at all. If the issues are minor, let go of them.
22) Be understanding as much as you can. Your partner might have had a day full of stress and frustration for which the words he or she used were inappropriate. So, try to understand your partner’s situation before you start taking things too seriously.
23) Did your partner really use the words to hurt your pride? Before you start arguing, always ask this to yourself. Not everyone is good with words and you need to explain it to your partner.
24) You need to be cheerful to be able to understand your partner more. Try to engage yourself in the things that make you happy. Once you have a fresh mood, you will be more understanding.
25) You may seek help from a counselor if need be. It is often difficult for a person to judge himself or herself mainly on issues as sensitive as these. So, any help from a professional can be of immense help.
26) Talk to your mutual friends who will act impartially. Talking to such people about your pride issues will be of great help. Their judgments will be neutral and hence, you will be able to decide in a better way.
27) You may take suggestions from an elder who is more experienced with relationships. You may ask the elders in your family to help you out when you think situations are hard for you. They can help you in a way better than anyone else.
28) If your partner is the one with pride issues, confront him or her. It is not always the case that you are being prideful. So, talk to your partner if you think he or she needs to work on his or her pride issues.
30) Please be patient after you talked to your partner. Your partner might not have been pointed out to be prideful before. So, be patient while he or she tries to work on the issue and meanwhile, try to adjust.
31) Try to be more empathetic. If you did not like the words of your partner, then try to find out the reason behind the usage of those words. Put yourself in the shoes of your partner and try to analyze the situation after that.
32) The choice of your words may give a bad impression. Even if you do not have any pride issues in your relationship, your words may send a different impression. So, think before what you say.
33) Do you really have pride issues or are you being manipulated? It may so happen that you are wrong in deciding who the one with pride issues is. So, before you reach a conclusion, make your judgments properly.
34) Remember that no one is perfect. You are a human being and you are not perfect. There is no harm in accepting this and the sooner you do this, the faster you learn to deal with your pride issues.
35) Once it goes out of your hands, let others know. It is not always possible to solve everything on your own. So, there is no shame in disclosing the issues in front of others.
36) Are you putting honest efforts in trying to work on your pride issues? This is a big question because often people fail to do so. So, you need to ask yourself constantly whether the steps you are taking to work on your pride issues are even real or not.
37) If you apologize to your partner for your mistake, you are not becoming anything less than what you truly are. There is no shame in apologizing when you realize your mistake. Apologizing rather makes you a better human.
38) The process of working on your pride issues is a lengthy process. Never seize trying to work on the issues. You may fail initially, but if you have the tenacity, you will definitely succeed.
39) What is the harm in accepting your mistake in front of the person you love? So, never think twice before apologizing when you think that you have committed a mistake.
40) Always be hopeful about the future. Think of the situations from a different scenario when there will be no issues with your pride in the relationship. Once you think of the positive sides, it will be easier for you to overcome your pride.
41) Learn to be forgetful. Once you master the art of forgetting, you will not even need your pride to come in between you and your partner.
42) Be honest to your partner and to yourself. Once you are honest, you will not need to argue and hence, your pride will not be there in the relationship. So, try to be honest to the fullest extent.
43) Are you a control freak? If it is so, you need to work on this attitude of yours. Everyone is independent and no one can be controlled and thus, you need to change yourself in such a case.
44) Never let the communication between you and your partner to vanish. Even if you two have argued, do not let the communication seize. This is one of the most effective ways to deal with your pride issues.
45) Ask yourself whether it is worth arguing with your partner. If you think that it is worthless to argue with your partner, then simply do not start arguing. This way you will be able to deal with your pride issues.
46) Learn to judge whether your partner is joking or being serious. If you misjudge a situation, you will unnecessarily be hurting your pride. If it is a joke, it should not be a matter at all.
47) Understand that you and your partner are not competitors. So, never try to compete with your partner and hence, not bring your pride issues in the relationship.
48) A relationship always requires adjustments. So, never think you can do well by not adjusting. You and your partner both should adjust a little so that the relationship works just fine.
49) Do not compete but try growing at the same pace. You two are lovers and not competitors. So, when your goals are to grow together, the issue of pride will not arise at all.
50) Your partner needs appreciation. The moment your partner receives appreciation from you, things become even more lovable. At the same time, you are also letting go of your pride when you start appreciating.
51) Ignore the issues which are no big deals. There is no reason to fight on the issues that are not significant. When you become an expert in doing this, you will not face any pride issues.
52) You need to be able to understand your partner. What is making your partner say things that are hurting your pride? Once you know the cause, you will have the solution to it, too.
53) Was your partner intentional in hurting you? If it is not, then honestly, there is no reason to get your pride hurt. You should be more empathetic.
54) You need to have a fresh mood. Once you have no stress or anything serious to think about, you will be able to deal with the situations in a better way. So, try to engage yourself in refreshing tasks.
55) Some counseling sessions can help you in magical ways. If you think that you are often having issues that are hurting your pride, then one of the best ways is to book some sessions with a professional counselor.
56) Take help from the seniors in your family. They are the well-wishers and will always guide you on the right path. If you are unable to handle the situation on your own, talk to the seniors in your family.
57) Talk to someone who knows both you and your partner. If you talk to such a person, they can analyze the situation from the point of view of both you and your partner and hence, the things will be easier to solve.
58) Does your partner even know that he or she is hurting your pride? If not, then do not wait to let your partner know of this. Once it is known, your partner will also be able to think of solutions.
59) Patience is the key to everything. So, never lose hope and always be optimistic that you will be able to overcome your pride in the relationship.
60) Are you really being proud or just look into your self-respect? Think properly before you start working on the issue. Your partner can be manipulative enough to make you feel that you have pride issues.
61) Try to learn how to practice gratitude. This will make you feel more loved and hence, the need for pride will eventually reduce. You will be able to live a happier life with your partner.
62) Meditating every day is one of the best solutions. Meditation will calm you down and will enable you to think more deeply. You will come up with better alternatives to your problems.
63) Discuss with your partner this pride issue. Your partner can be of immense help once he or she is aware of the problem. Do not feel shy to ask for help.
64) Try to be an explorer. Try to look into yourself and find out the causes of your pride. Then ask yourself whether such an attitude is even justifiable or not.
65) Push yourself to do risky jobs. Once you are doing this, you will start enjoying even the smaller things and will try to find out love in everything. This will automatically eliminate pride issues.